Friday, April 06, 2007

I love you Antigua




This was meant to be be another blog originally about another thought that I had pondered over last night quite excited by it, but for some reason I have absolutely no recollection of what it was right now. So on this beautiful day (blame it on the Friday partially) I thought I would just pen down my experiences about my recent week long trip to Antigua. A trip that had begun absolutely drenched in pain after India's shock exit in the World Cup actually leaving many of us thinking whether we should actually go in the first place at all any more (bless you overpriced non-refundable Continental tickets). But the mere thought of not having gone seems criminal right now as I sit back recollecting what has been probably the best vacation of my life. The choice of Antigua was based on the fact that the men in blue would supposedly play in 2 high voltage clashes in the Super Eight and if not for them I probably would have never gone to Antigua. Antigua is a small country about 45 miles on the perimeter and at times its hard to realize that you are travelling across a country and not a city. But what it lacks in size it makes up in the pristine beauty of the place, the white sand beaches (365 of them too believe it or not) and the very very warm and friendly people. I never for a moment felt unsafe over there or felt that i was getting ripped because I was a tourist. The people were always friendly always more than willing to help and always COOL with their Caribbean accent. Spending time in the country makes you realise that you don't really need to be rich to live life as you see the whole country in a state of constant party (and trust me its not all to do with the greener grass over there). The whole setting of the place reminded me of Goa with the same roads, houses and laid back carnival atmosphere and to top it all there was cricket because all of you who know me know by now that I don't like cricket I love it :). The highlights of this trip will be the first sight of the white sand beach after struggling to locate it for a good 2 hours, sipping on some really fine Antiguan rum on ..... pretty much all the days of the trip, the awesome goat curry which I tore into with great fervor, meeting people from all over the world and the locals who seemed just as disappointed as me about India's shock exit, hooting a very mystified Ponting at the boundary rope with chants of 'Sachiiiiin Sachinnnn', shaking hands with the great Sir Vivian Richards, almost dropping my drink as I noticed Gilchrist standing right next to me at the bar and everything I did for the period of 6 days under the sun and over the sand. I love you Antigua, missing you already.


P.S. Pictures from the trip to follow soon

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Antigua rocks mannnnn!
Sachin Sachin kach kach kach Sachin Sachin ;)

A lot of pleasant memories from this trip haven't been written abt and I am wondering whhhhhhhayyyy? ;)

totti said...

Dude..Awesome...the last three or four lines of the post were the best...you saw gillie!! and Viv richards too ...oh man! really amazing..i wish i could go to Antigua..did you notice how it rhymes with Goa :p

wagla_aka_batman said...

Finally.. I was waiting to see who would be the first to write a blog about it... Thank Continental that you got to it with Fatass getting stuck there. Glad you all had an good time. I envy u for meeting the great one.

Prerona said...

been a while since you posted! no? nice post. i was just recently wondering if you cannot fall for a place :)

Rohan Kumar said...

@Ad Antigua did and does rock yo, pleasant memories have been stored and stashed away for private safekeeping ;)


@totti and Greg Bewett, Damien Fleming and Siva etc etc, would have been fun to have you on board you might have taught the Aussies a thing or two about batting while you were down there too :)

@wagla Yeah I did beat him to it although he has a lot more posts planned abt it than me but in al fairness he got to stay down there for 2 more days so i envy him more

@Ricercar Yup the vacation kept me busy, oh you bet you casn and ANtigua wouldnt be a bad place to start :)

@Subash Thank your lucky stars you arent in Antigua anymore or you have gotten lynched for not repsecting my name's authoritaah, anyways three cheers to Antigua hip hip hurray

M (tread softly upon) said...

You're the second person who's been telling me wonderful stories about Antigua along with pretty pictures, and I'm envious. Hope you'll be posting more frequently now that you're back refreshed.

Rohan Kumar said...

@m Yes Antigua definitely was one of the prettiest places I had seen, the pictures dont do it justice. Abt posting more frequently guess we'll find out :)