Friday, March 31, 2006

Work lessons

Before I launch into this post I must give you all some background about the company I work for. I work at a manufacturing facility that produces gypsum wallboards that a majority of the western world uses to construct houses. As I sat down with my boss a couple of days back discussing how to tackle a particular problem that I was supposed to look into to ensure problem free manufacturing of these boards. I had discussed the problem with another another manager and he had expressed not much hope of handling the problem anytime soon. So as I conveyed this to my boss he sat there smiling before handing out these words of wisdom "Always remember one thing, it doesnt matter what A says or B says. For that matter it doesnt even matter what I say. Always remember that A, B or I are only signing your checks, its those boards that are paying you those checks. So as long as those boards are running you will be happy and that's all that should be influencing most of your future calls at work."
Dazed I sat there looking at him thnking Wow it should be quite an experience working for you boss.

9 comments:

Madame Mahima said...

hehe nothing like a boss who lays all his cards out on the table!
id rather have a boss like ures than one who sugar coats stuff, lulls u into a false sense of security and then stabs u in the back!!!!!!!
*composes herself*...just saying y'know..

totti said...

So, if you really have to listen to your boss,then he said,"It doesn't matter even what i say..", so you really shouldn't take his words seriously :p.It is good that you are able to keep a straight face in such trying situations.Just kidding :p.

Keep practicing, april 15 is round the corner.

Point 5 said...

Good for you man...but when u blog about ur office etc, make sure that u dont drop in anything controversial....there have been lot of case of ppl getting busted for blogging

Anonymous said...

Hey,
nice blog. I have been reading ur stuff for quite sometime.
I cannot help but agree with point5, especially since you have made your identity public?
Anyways, keep up the good work.

Shivangi Misra said...

When you start working, a friendly boss is like demi-god... Nice to know you're enjoying your work. Hope the spirit stays on for a while.
Between, you planning to visit home anytime soon?

Jinguchakka said...

Not so fast! Wait till you complete an year atleast. Then you write about bosses.
Maybe you'll start your own Dilbert-like cartoon strip, who knows?
:-)

Rohan Kumar said...

@Mahima Wow someone's had a hard time at work I see

@totti Wth as if you hadnt tried hard enough to get me fired already now you keep coming up with these crazy ideas. I might not be able to make it to the tournament but dont get too happy (I might just make it even if its just to whip your team's ass :))

@Point Good call and it's something I have decided to do too coz I have hrd too many horror stories of ppl filling up their blogs trahsing their co-workers and bosses with very predictable end results

@Anonymous Nice to know that, do sign off with a pseudonym the next time around coz it gets hard to follow all those anonymous comments for later.

@shivangi Hope the spirit stays on forever :), should be down in Delhi sometime in Dec, why do you ask?

@ps Have no clue whatsoever how to even get started replying to that comment ;)

@Jinguchakka Well guess we have an eternal pessimist here :), hopefully I shall be retaining my job an year down the line and not having to live off Dilbert strips :)

Saurabh said...

keep learning dude...
P.S.: I dont like my name lying low there just above prem paniker...you gotta do something abt it soon!

Rohan Kumar said...

@golu All the time and not till I see another 10 posts on your blog