Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Coz home's home

Its been a little over a month since a very important day in my life went by kinda unnoticed. Feb 7 is an important day in more ways than one. Not just because it was my first day at the first professional job of my career but also because 4 years down the road from this date I plan to be back working in India. Yes that has always been the intention and the higher studies and the first job in States have always meant to stepping stones to bigger better things in India. Its a thought that was ridiculed by friends at college whenever we did get down to discussing the more serious things in life (and that wasn't very often by my count) and something that has been met with a 'ya right' smirk and 'we'll see after 2 years' statement. So well to set the record straight its been almost 3 years now since I arrived here and if anything the desire and will still burns bright, if anything stronger. Also to quell any stereotypical notions that might be creeping up in any of your minds I must let you know that this country has been great to me, given me a lot of love and respect and an opportunity to make something good of my life. Its just that home will always be home. Even animals for that matter venture out for food, to mate or to work but at the end of the day they return to a place called home because home will always be home. Because USofA for all its charms and glamor can never hold a candle to India and don't get me wrong on that one. I am sure this post would have never happened if not for USA and also I am sure any American will tell you the same about America. Because a lot more goes into my definition of a good life than just dollar bills, things like friends, family, your countrymen walking through the streets that you stroll in breeding a sense of familiarity, the familiar corner shop etc etc. Well I guess you kinda get the idea so wipe that smirk off your face the next time you hear me say I am heading to India in 4 years and send me a reminder on 02/07/10 if you are still around reading this blog.

P.S. Came across this old post while digging through my blog, thought I might put it up as I dont think a lot of ppl actually got see it as this blog was in its infancy then.

12 comments:

Madame Mahima said...

i think its lovely that you want to go back home even after experiencing such a different way of life in the US.
and yup you're right..home is definitely where the heart is..
for me personally i've never lived in india but i would love to go back and experience living there..i don't know if i'd like it, but i definitely want to try (to like it) =)
good on you rohan!

Casablanca said...

Its okay, a lot of us get the smirk and 'ya right'. I got that even when I said I wasnt impressed with NYC. I have a theory for it... will blog about it some time for sure :)

OnLY OnE..! said...

I find it really impressive, that you still want to do that! A lot of people do change their minds! heres to you NOT changing your mind! :P


Btw whats the name of the song playing? I love it!

Anarkist said...

Its great that you think that way. But, sometimes, even the most sincerely held beliefs have a weird way of cornering us. I am not doubting your sincerity. I wouldn't do that, being in the same boat as you, but just that sometimes there are other compulsions which seriously come in the way of such decisions. I just hope you don't have to deal with any of that. See you in India!

ligne said...

lucky you that can make deadlines.. unfortunate me have to wait to write a thesis.. but i agree with every word you say about going back...:)

totti said...

Yeah.I will see you there.It is good to hear other people's opinion about you. Can be quite amusing ;). Somethings change and somethings don't . I guess going home is the latter.

Jinguchakka said...

Well, I agree as to all those reasons you say for your decision.
But one thing, people(desis) who have stayed here...It's not that they didn't have an iota of intention to return to motherland.

Circumstances play a role.

che sara sara said...

plans are good...
but ???

Point 5 said...

Although I don't doubt ur resolve to return back after 4 years, I would like to advise you to take/enjoy life as it comes and decide when the moment arrives

Rohan Kumar said...

I think one emotion that didnt probably come across in the post and something I really wanted to talk about is that he only person I will be doing a favor on going back home is me. Also I have never been one to conveniently pin the blame on circumstances and compulsion. You have be your own man (or woman if it may apply) and stand up for your actions. If the will is there and the fire still burns bright within you I really think there is really nothing in this world that can stop you going back to a place that you have called home for the majority of your life.

@Mahima Give it a shot, trust me you will not be going to Spore anytime soon :)

@Casa And pray what might it take for us lesser mortals to be privy to that theory

@Iturhs I think terming the sentiment as impressive is kinda unfair because I dont really think that ppl who do change their minds are doing the wrong thing. Also I really belive a lot of the ppl who change their minds had never wanted to go back in their hearts of hearts in the first place. The song's 'Kitna Pyar karte' from the new movie Banaras rendered by the much maligned Himesh Reshamiyya.

@Anarkist I think I have kinda replied to what you have said in the para above and yes I shall see you in India if I dont catch you in 16801 earlier sometime ;)

@Ligne Look on the brighter side, If I could finish one I am sure you can make the deadline on your thesis too

@Totti Most definitely I cant believe my batting avges will keep going up even when I am playing cricket in India by the looks of it :)

@Jinguchakka Very very suspiciously defensive words coming from someone who has only been here for a few months
 
@Sophia No ifs and buts as far as this issue in concerned in my mind

@Pointy I shall do that but I hope you realize that such a move involves a career change and such things have to be planned in advance to set things in motion beforehand

Jinguchakka said...

Oh Dude! I was not at all talking about me. Me and my employer, we both have no intention to keep me here beyond the third quarter of this year!
I just tried to reason out the people who have stayed back here.

Anonymous said...

Just happened to have stumbled on this blog, was wondering, if you were able to walk your talk of 4 years ago??