Monday, June 05, 2006

A walk down memory lane

I have always believed orkut to be nothing more than an antiquated messenger and a device lots of people use to 'make friendship' with others with an unlimited internet connection and time on their hands. So I was absolutely overjoyed when I found one of my very good friends from school on there. Even though we were good pals from school somehow as we charted different routes through different colleges we kind of lost touch. The area codes in our respective places changed somewhere down the line as a result of which I had lost touch with him for almost 8 years now (stop doing the math, I will tell you my age, all you have to do is ask :) ). So anyways I had tried to get in touch with him again but with no success till a week back when I suddenly found him on orkut via another school friend's list and surprises of surprises he was settled here in USA itself (and yes I will hunt you down if you come looking for me on orkut :) ). We spent an hour catching up on the phone but you know how it is when you meet an old friend after soo long. Lots of questions pop up into your head as soon as you put the phone down and so I was kinda kicked to see him online on my messenger today. After some usual chit chat consisting of exchanging pleasantries, long debate as to who of us was a bigger (in his words) kam_ _ _ at school and an unsuccessful attempt by him to hook me up with his current girl room mate, this is where the conversation veered to.

Me: Hey your brother's name was Sudipto right?
Him: No ways how do you remember my brother's name, that is crazy man.
Me: Baap ka naam P.K.Ghosh (imagine a Big B Agneepath hangover)
Him: Damn you have a good memory (and yes I am freakishly freakishly good when it comes to such things)
Me: Your dad was a heart surgeon at Apollo hospital
Him: Give up man I didnt even know I ever told you this stuff. Lets see if you can tell me my Mom's name
Me: Kyun tujhe apni Mummy ka naam nahin pata
Him: @#$#$#*&#@@#$$% Hahahahahahahahahaha, tu kabhi nahin sudhrega
Me: You should have seen it coming
Him: Yup I should :)

And I couldnt stop laughing for the next 5 minutes, damn its good to catch up with old friends.

11 comments:

Casablanca said...

Yup, that's the only thing Orkut is good for... catching up with old friends. And sometimes, that is so awesome, that is worth braving all those "make friendship" messages :)

M (tread softly upon) said...

It sure is. Makes you feel like a school kid again.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely but I think it's too addictive..maybe I am still new to it so I feel I just idle away too much time on it ...almost doing nothing at times.
Well..you seemed to have had an interesting conversation.I never knew u had such good memory :)

totti said...

Hee hee...i have looked for my old school friends and found a few..its definately great to catch up..that friend of yours just gave you a half-volley to smack :)..good one..did you hear abt the match we won??

Madame Mahima said...

aye its amazing to catch up with old friends and see how theyve changed (or not changed)
i thought i had completely lost contact with lagos classmates till one of them (surbhi on my blog) found me on msn..
here's to friendship!
-clink-

FlyingHigh said...

I am bored of orkut, give me something new to play with. :p

janani said...

Yeah orkut is great for catching up on old friends! But unless you were great buddies once, it kinda gets awkward after the "Hey I am X, do you remember me? What re you doing now btw?" stage. :-)

Anarkist said...

Orkut is awesome! But I don't obsess with it like many people there. And, sometimes, keeping in touch with all the friends gets a bit tiring too.

Point 5 said...

I was never a big fan of Orkut, till people started scrapping my space. I caught up with some old friends there too, but just like Blogs it can get addictive and cause a monumental waste of time....

Rohan Kumar said...

@Rohan But of course the same 2 eyes, 2 ears, nose ....... :)

@Casablanca Bah how come I never see any chicks who wanna "make friendship" to/with?????? me (see I dont even know how this whole deal works)

@M So totally :)

@shivani Ye snow you do know now and you can start to recall all the secrest you might have told me abt right abt now (muahahahahahaha)
Well u see I dont have ppl to write me page long testimonials so excuse my not being as adddcited as you are ;)

@totti Yup you of all ppl should know I never let a half volley go ;) What match tell me abt it plzzzzzzzz

@_ _ _ _ rao R u on orkut too???? And no clink vink unless that was a glass of hot choc, you better stop raising that glass of urs at every occasion u find ;)

@shradha Try facebook.com

@janani Ah she rises from the ashes, but trust me once you get past that stage you forge an absolutely new and fresher bond with that friend

@Demi Goddezz Yup :)

@Anarkist But for all those tiring moment a moment like this makes it worth it :)

@pointy haha I kinda know what you mean

Madame Mahima said...

grr let me have my drink, dammit.
nono im not on orkut, im on friendster and my space (tho i hardly log on to the latter)...are u on it?