Monday, November 21, 2005

Posers and Clickers

After the last post and an inexplicable global out pour of sympathy and pity (which is totally welcome btw) for me I have decided to stay away from writing any posts for a while which might be deemed as remotely relating to my personal life :).
For all those who think I am here to start a debate on digital cameras vs. the film cameras or the merits of a photo albums as against the digital picture library you couldn’t be more wrong as right now right here I will TELL you digital cameras are the best thing to have happened to the world of cameras since the invention of the ………camera. Also photo albums will always continue to hold an old school charm over the digital pictures. Now that I am very that we are on the same page with regard to the above issues I will come back to the 3 things that constitute the making of a photograph i.e. a poser, a clicker and a ….camera. What is that again…..we have discussed that before. Oh ok all the more better as I can go ahead and address some real issues with the rest of this post now. So returning to the real issues we all are familiar with the posers and clickers of our own treasured world of photographs. The posers are people you will invariably find part of every possible picture that you might possess provided that he was within a one mile radius of the pic being taken. It does not matter whether he/she is a 6 month old toddler or a 60 year old veteran, whether the picture is taken atop the Mt. Everest or under the depths of the pacific, whether they are dressed up in a tux or barely finding time to put on their birthday suits, they will always find time to make it to the picture and beam a 400watt dazzler rendering all you flashes redundant. These are people who have hypersensitive ears that prick up at the sound of a camera click and possess superhuman powers to put in just in time dives in front of flashing cameras that would even put Jonty Rhodes to shame. These people are often mistaken to be the birthday boy/girl at birthday parties, the most active and ever present member of vacations, what the hell they can even be often confused as the only ones celebrating New Year on those New Year parties. On the other hand of the spectrum are the clickers a breed who continued absence from all pics leaves them fielding questions on what they have doing all these years? They are the reclusive sort who would much rather prefer a behind the scene role wielding the camera. These people will hold a mysterious majority possession of all those dream cameras that you drool over after those commercials. They have all the possible concepts about lighting, camera angles and all other possible facets of photography figured out already. They will often to found in every tenth picture sporting an awkward face forming part of the foreground.
The lines between the posers and clickers are not very hard and fast and blur on a lot of occasions with not the best of results necessarily. A poser will avoid being a clicker at most times deliberately leaving behind his own camera home to avoid missing out on being part of pics. However occasions when a poser if forced to be a clicker via means of threat or emotional blackmail will result in a lot of deliberate out of focus and horrible set of pics to avoid any such future torture. In the case of a role reversal a clicker will show up in pics sporting a very very rusted and not so toothy smile and a general impression that he/she would have given his/her right hand off to be anywhere else other than the pic.
So in this world divided into posers and clickers which camp do you stand in?, unless of course if you are a camera ……….Sorry bad joke :)

13 comments:

KM said...

yes rohan...'bachpan' by kaavish is an awesome song!
very emotional!

Casablanca said...

Hmmm... I love take pictures. I carry my camera around so often, and when I dont, phone comes handy (god bless them for camera phones). But I like being in the pics too... a bit of both worlds, can we?

totti said...

I gifted me camera to my brother, primarily to disown a camera and jump into the posers list from the clickers catagory:-p

-A malicious hacker from totti's account... su su

Point 5 said...

Although I detest taking pictures in public, I am a big fan of patel snaps....

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

i'm more of a clicker than a poser
and I tend to get irritated with posers who alwayz seem so self-obssessed

janani said...

Me and my friends are all posers and when we go on a trip the rest of the world is a clicker. :-)

M (tread softly upon) said...

Hey Rohan, really enjoy your posts related to your personal life. Leaves a lot of room for conjecture :))
As far as clickers and posers I am neither.....I am definitely not the kind who loves being in the limelight and although I can click I do not think it makes me much of a clicker. So can I be in neither camp?

totti said...

What the freaking hell!! machaan..how the hell did you do it!! dei..i am totally surprised.

Rohan Kumar said...

@khizzy Oh yes i love it too :)

@casa the camera on my phone sux so i can never really bank on it. Oh yes u gotta decide whether u r a clicker --> wannabe poser or vice versa.

@susu Good work on the hacking, I think I am part of that clickers to posers category.

@pointy Plzzzzz plzzzzz plzzzz gimme the dough on the ptel snap deal

@swathi Always remembers there cant be a world of clickers minus those posers unless u wanna be a nature/wildlife/travel photographer :)

@janani yaaay join the club

@m I would like to reiterate than none of my posts are autobiographical unles I write so :)
Well if u dont wanna be part of either you have gotta be a camera (for details refer back to the end of post again) :)

@totti I wud have ventured a very informed and accurate guess but for the fact that I dont see any comment abt my post in ur comment :(

Jinguchakka said...

I am a devout clicker. For that matter I hate to be the subject of a photo.

Casablanca said...

Hehehe... I have a 1.3mp camera on my phone!
Erm... do we HAVE to pick a category?
Ah well, I'd say if its a happening event and I'm dressed well, I'd rather be a poser. If not, a clicker will do. Does that answer the question? :p

Btw, you never told us what you are... poser or clicker? Or camera? :D

Madame Mahima said...

im a poser for SURE
=D
my friend even said 'u know my birthday party pictures? YOU were in more pictures than ME'

but hey...i can take some pretty nice pics myself

Rohan Kumar said...

@Jinguchakka Hope u have a neat camera to back that clicker in you

@casa I am a poser for sure unless there's a poser who's inspiring enuff to make a clicker outta me

@Mahima Oh u r a born poser by the looks of it, wud have bet on it it nyways even if you hadnt said so