Wednesday, February 08, 2006

MS (my super) Office

I have been wanting to blog for a couple of days but lack of any issue that generally makes my blogs type themselves has prevented me from doing so. I have mixed emotions of leaving State College, in fact I honestly cant say what my feelings are on leaving that place that has played home from over 30 months. I don't think it has really hit home that I am finally away, there's a part of me that knows that its just 4 hours away somewhere on a lonely weekend in the near future.
The first professional full time job of my fledgling career started off well on Tuesday. No I didn't walk into my office to a thunderous applause with people lining up to hear me give a big grand speech on my feelings of being part of the Lafarge family nor have I walked into the office realizing that I forgot my pants at home, nor the fact that I had been very cleverly tricking my teachers into giving me those degrees been discovered yet. I set a record time reaching my office a good 4 hours after leaving home, people who have ever driven around in the NJ traffic or gotten lost there can start sympathizing right about now. I was welcomed to the office premises by my HR guy named Nelson literally as he had to eventually drive down to a place I was parked at so that I could follow him back to the plant. It didn't turn out to be such a bad day as he told me that the company would be offering me pay for Monday and Tuesday and that I could wear jeans and polos to work (I know that doesn't mean much to a lot of you but that has always been part of the office wear at my dream jobs). As he gave me this good news over a paid for lunch, he also extended me an invitation for a lunch on Wednesday. Who says there are no free lunches in the corporate world?

14 comments:

Jinguchakka said...

You will miss your home of 30 months for sure.
You must have been the first guy they drove to receive to the parking lot! lol.
Buddy, those relaxed do count. They mean a lot on those mornings when you had pulled an all nighter before and still have to go to office.
You think you've got yourself a free lunch? :-) You'll know, when they extract work for that, your pay and much more.
Eagerly awaiting your next post. lol :-))

Jinguchakka said...

I meant the relaxed dress code. Left out the crucial part..oops.

Casablanca said...

Heyyy... good to see you back to blogging from NJ :D

And you directionless lost soul... poor you (*trying hard not to laugh*)

I for one, dont mind wearing formals to work. I think it makes me more serious about my work. But then that's just me... I have a great choice in business formals you see. Hehe.

And I agree with Jingu, dont think of it as a "free lunch" my dear, cause payback is a biatch!

Madame Mahima said...

:O what if he makes YOU pay for lunch on wednesday??
these office people can be very very sneaky and devious!

sorry im such an office-conspiracy-theorist, something about people working like clockwork and being so organised kinda freaks me out!

RT said...

Oh. Looks like professional life is treating someone rather well. Hope the good days continue.
And 4 hours to work?? That sounds like Mumbai or Blore to me. :-)

totti said...

Yeah.please do upload the pic with formal attire. we all can have a good laugh :). I heard you arrived at 11:00 on the first day? you used to arrive 10 minutes earlier for pcg

BTW..i had an interesting conversation with lafrage guy who had come for career fair. He was boasting that they were the biggest cement guys..and i said..wait a minute..i think my friend got into one of those..i thought hard for your company name..couldn't remember..all i remembered was that it was some big stupid cement company :)

that guy gave up

Anonymous said...

I too want to say stuff like, "yeah yeah, watch out! They will get that lunch back by having you work overtime" and all that. But alas! I have never held a job in a corporate situation. So screw it. Get anything you can for free and we'll see about the rest later.

Koi Pahailee said...

haaa haaa *sigh*
well! the new kid on the block...is in for some suprises *bleaky bleaky voice*
(I am mean aint I...)
but on serious note...its good when u manage to leave the place (ur college) at the right time

cuz otherwise the same place bites u...its always good to move forwards...and have memories in store..
so gp ahead..and enjoy
beware...nothing is what it seems (i mean at the office) :P

M (tread softly upon) said...

Great! Hope you continue having fun :)

Rohan Kumar said...

@Jinguchakka 'You will miss your home of 30 months for sure' probably but I dunno if thats a first to be proud of ;)
I am not in an IT based jobs so shouldnt be seeing too many of those dreaded nightouts hopefully

@Casablanca Yeah laugh all you can travelling in those comfy trains / cabs and you didnt have to show-off abt all those tonnes of clothes you got coz we all know whats keeping the shoes and jacket industry of HK thriving

@Mahima Been watching too much of that Mel gibson movie eh?

@RT I got my fingers crossed on that one too :), its like Mumbai and Blore just worse

@totti Wth man I cant believe you so desperately want me back, tch tch stooping to such low levels to get me kicked outta my company

@Anonymous Thats the spirit I say :) (Subhash??)

@Koi Pahailee New kid on the block is enjoying his time in the sun :), what is it with you office conspiracy theorists?

@M Thnx I am hoping for the same

Anarkist said...

Is your office like the one in 'Office Space'? You know, with the Boss who says the worst things in the nicest possible way and a colleague who will one day burn the place down or go postal and hunt everyone down with an automatic rifle. Hey, try doing something like in 'Fight Club' or 'American Beauty' with your boss. :))

Rohan Kumar said...

@Anarkist Finally I meet someone else who has seen 'Office Space' and can appreciate the movie as much as I do, nopes I dont have that kinda dream office but I hope we get there someday :)

Subash said...

Office Space -- A Classic. The movie by itself needs its own blog.. maybe i'll do it some other time. yes, it was me that left the anon comment. Good guessing you bastard. So Rohan, what's happening? Yeaahhh, go ahead and come in satturrday!!!

Rohan Kumar said...

@Subash Cant agree with more abt Officespace, nothing much is happening here at office today and that's why I am replying to all the backlog of comments ;)