Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Where were you when ..........?

Lakdi ki kaathi, Kaathi pe ghoda (Masoom): Trying to sing along as a toddler only getting the 'takbak takbak' part right and trying to get a free horse ride from almost anyone to everyone.

Aaja shaam hone aayi (Maine Pyar Kiya): Trying hard to convince my mom to buy me a 'Friend' cap, cmon cut me some slack I was 7 or 8 years old and thank you Mom for not submitting to all my silly demands

Ek do teen (Tezaab): Hoping and praying my neighbors across the road would play the song on their cool new stereo system so that the kids could groove to the song again

Oye Oye, Tirchi Topiwaale (Tridev): Just trying to find places all over my street which were playing the song so that I could just go and dance over there

Jumma Chumma De De (Hum): Humming that song very very consciously under my breath all day for the fear of my Mom catching me singing it (damn that song was catchy)

Choli ke peeche (Khalnayak) / Tu cheez badi hai mast mast (Mohra) : Trying to find safe corners to sing the songs before a tap on the shoulder and a pair reproaching eyes told me it wasn't such a good idea

Chaiyya Chaiyya (Dil Se): Discovering cargo pants were indeed cool and Arbaaz Khan's only redeemable quality (for the uninitiated he married the angel grooving in the video of the song)

Aashiq Banaya Aapne (Aashiq Banaya Aapne): Blasting the number all over the streets of New Jersey on my IPod

Kajra Re (Bunty aur Bubli): Doing the Kajra re step and falling in love with Aishwarya Rai all over again :)

They say songs define a generation but for me songs can easily define my life till now, each of these numbers clearly demarcating the point of time I have stood at, with them in my life, acting as one of the most sweet sounding and very cherished time scale. So where were you when these numbers were burning up the charts?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about...Pehla Nasha? Tujhe Dekha? and the most recent KANK? ;)

Casablanca said...

I'd go with Pehla Nasha... the song that could make my insides turn at 12 :)

totti said...

hehe.. and also i believe some people are born to just song one song ...that was their destiny and then dissolve back into the masses :p..do you get it? no?

shelzter said...

Pehla Nasha..I was in love with Aamir Khan and the first crush I had - that lasted for almost 8 years haha.

M (tread softly upon) said...

Totally agree about songs defining a generation. And I remember all these songs with great fondness. Brings back memories of friends, school, growing up.Was beginning to forget these songs. Almost. Until you brought back those days.
Very nice post.

Rohan Kumar said...

@Ad Damn I did miss Pehla Nasha my all time fav song, Kank was enjoyable (Karan Johar doesnt get any credit for that though) actually wouldnt have minded even if it was another 4 hours longer ;)

@Casablanca 'Insides turn' might kill any ounce of romance that my fav song of all time stood for ;)

@totti Wth I get it of course and also I get why you crooned 'Meri pant bhi sexy......' for 2 years at 16801

@Zufikar Pehla Nasha is my all time fav song too btw why is the crush crushed? :)

@M Thnx yeah all songs have all these priceless memories attached with them and that is why we treasure them even more knowing what all they have stood for

Madame Mahima said...

yeh man what about pehla nasha!
i remember singing lakdi ki kaathi when i was in kindergarten (of course i got the lyrics TOTALLY messed up)
ek do teen my bro was born around the time it was released but i remember thinking madhuri was (is) da bomb
pffft. mallaika arora. u know what i think of her.

Rohan Kumar said...

@mahima Yeah I did miss Pehla Nasha, my bad. You got ur lyrics messed up like all Hindi songs of course ;) and I reiterate Malaika is hot

Anonymous said...

Nice post actually.

I went to your profile. It showed 3999 as total number of views, I refreshed it became 4000. And that is what forced me to comment.

So wher is my million dollar check?

Prerona said...

v good list - we all remember so many things around songs and movies and events, dont we. funny what makes an impression ...