Monday, October 30, 2006

Yours truly anonymously

Blogging for many people has for long been a release from their routine life. A space where they hang loose venting out their creative energies or as an overflowing pot for their emotions. For a lot of people it has been the diary they have never kept or have been too conscious to keep one. For many others it has been a shout out to life in general, from a budding storyteller, a wannabe poet, a seeker of truth, or even from a frustrated individual trying to give meaning to these series of unfortunate co incidences in his/her life. Many people have raised their voices anonymously while many others have chosen a more open route attaching faces to their voices. Personally for me it was never a big deal, it was as simple as filling out my name on any for I would fill out. I have a picture up on my blog simply because there was a tab on the blogger form that asked for it, nothing more nothing less to it. A lot of people have asked me whether my family knows about this blog of mine and the answer to that is not really because I don't go hoarse advertising my blog from the rooftops. Its one of those things that they would so easily find out about if they googled my name but till the time they don't I guess I do enjoy a certain degree of freedom about my blogging subjects. Somewhere down the line this made me appreciate to a small degree, the overenthusiastic zeal with which some bloggers protect their identities. Whether they do it to add enigma and mystery to their real life persona's ........ not really, but whether it helps them stay in their comfort zone as they blog about a variety of subjects ....... quite possibly and understandably yes.

12 comments:

Point 5 said...

Unfortunately for me, my cousins advertised my blog to everyone in the family..so I have my parents, uncles glancing at it occassionally...which has forced me to tone down my posts :((

I respect ppl's choice to stay anonymous..but I think its easier to relate to a person if know name & background

Jinguchakka said...

My case is opposite of 0.5's. I've implored my cousins to read my blog. They don't bother to remember the url even. :-(

totti said...

For once, i am curious to read response of the commenters(!!). Will check back in a couple of days. Good question..and no, i didn't know lithunia is so far. Fuck that!

Madame Mahima said...

i get what u mean...
sometimes i wish i had remained anonymous coz there are waay too many pple who know me that read my blog...so im automatically restricted from writing (venting) about certain events coz i know there'll be repurcussions (same reason why my parents too dont know abt my blog)
ah well..such is the price we pay

janani said...

Yeah even I wish I blogged anonymously. Somehow people at work know that I blog and my manager asked about it during my appraisal. :-(

Shri said...

But if one wants to be anonymous, why go for a web-log why not a personal diary? I guess the idea is to be heard and not just venting out in vacuum, is it?

Rohan Kumar said...

@Point I feel likewise about associating peple when they have a name or picture to be able to understand where they are coming from, btw why did you advertise your blog to your cousins in the first place?

@Jinguchakka Thats exactly what you have all of the blogosphere for, anyways they dont know what they are missing out on

@totti For once I am intersted in hearing your response on this ;)

@Mahima Currently I dont hold back much and you shouldnt too if you really feel the blog should be a real reflection of you

@janani Guess you got yourself a raise then, when's the treat?

@Shri If written anonymously a web log can be the most personal and most accesible diary ever, also you do realise venting out in a parallel world to strangers is different from venting out to people just because you wanna make your voice heard to your aquaintances

M (tread softly upon) said...

"Whether they do it to add enigma and mystery to their real life persona's ........ not really, but whether it helps them stay in their comfort zone as they blog about a variety of subjects ....... quite possibly and understandably yes." You just said it rohan :)
Well some of us do try to maintain a comfortable distance between our virtual entities and the real life persona. And I can speak only for myself here. The reason I do it is what you already said. makes it so much easier to talk about anything, anyone without having to worry about who is reading it, judging me and will talk to me about it. And yes it is way easier and mildly comforting to be able to talk to strangers with whom you connect for the strangest reasons. If it weren't for my blog where would i find all these like-minded souls? And even today i am amazed that people come back to read what I write about and i am grateful. honestly i would like to meet a lot of these people if only to tell them how much it means to ahve them read my blog. But that would mean giving up my anonymity and i'm not sure whether I could do that. yet.
p.s. sorry that got kinda long :)

Anonymous said...

i heart bagel boy :)

totti said...

Cryptic messages :p

Anonymous said...

Any blogger worth his statcounter stats ;) should know to never take his anonymity for granted. The internet is a big, small, world, and you never know who is reading you, connecting the dots, silently.

paranoid android. :-)

Rohan Kumar said...

@M Ppl come back because you write from your heart and that is a connection you strike with like hearted and not like minded people if you can take my word for it

@Ad So different yet so alike (that makes you bagel girl btw ;) )
Mayebe we have met in some other life (other life I dunno but pleased to have met you in this one)

@totti Its the new Da Vinci code duh ;)

@The_Girl_From_Ipanema True its really not such a big world reallybut trust me its not such a big world, therfore paranoid android is a no no in my book