Saturday, August 27, 2005

A musical interlude

I seem to have hit a blogger’s block of late, a pretty steep one at that too. So even as I shake myself trying to churn up new ideas I find myself returning to my mental recycle bin to recover some post ideas that I had deemed as probable ones but trashed later probably not considering them fit for public consumption. This post happens to be one those ideas and marks my return to my favorite domain of Bollywood. You might relate to it only and only if you have been a music buff from the 80’s onwards.

Recall all those times when Cd’s weren’t quite the in thing and your music pile consisted of cassettes which came dirt cheap after the advent of the Gulshan Kumar era. Do you remember times when while playing a favorite cassette of yours you suddenly came to song that stuck out as a sore note on an otherwise musically brilliant album? As I sat down recalling such instances I started thinking of times when we have shamelessly defended the songs in our movies by calling them musicals even though we’ve never come to making a true blue musical in the true sense of the world. I mean forget musicals we have very few movies in which all songs are good and turn out to be popular choices amongst the common movie going audiences. Anyways that not my point, the point is even though we make movies replete with songs why do music directors always end up composing one real bad / unpopular song on an otherwise beautiful album. If you sift through pages of Bollywood music history you will probably notice that this trend started only around the late 70’s and early 80’s movies when greats like Shankar Jaikishan and S.D.Burman were no longer around. After their era when subsequent music directors came around that you will suddenly begin to find albums with one or 2 mediocre to plain bad that somehow didn’t gel with an otherwise hit soundtrack and ended up going unnoticed in a relatively hit flick. For a true movie buff this phenomenon seemed very irritating because it always seemed like that the music composers just didn’t bother and got into the irritating and very Indian ‘chalta hai’ mode of functioning this ruining a great album leaving me scurrying for the fast forward button. For those of you who I have entirely lost at this point of time its time you make a quick exit before making you are forced to leave uncharitable comments on the blog, for those who even have an inkling as to what I am talking about I speak for every ‘Chori pe chori’ song in Saathiya, ‘Jaaneman Jaaneman’ number in Kaho Na Pyar Hai, ‘Pehli Baar mMile’ from Saajan, ‘ Dil Ka Aalam’ from Aashiqi, ‘Ghar Aaja Pardesi’ from DDLJ, ‘Deewane Hum Pyar Ke’ from JJWS, ‘Bada Dukh Dina’ from Ram Lakhan etc. My memory fails me as I try to come up with more examples but I hope I have gotten my point across. Also pardon me for my choice of movies being from the 80’s onwards as that’s where most of my musical recollections start from. This realization gave me increased appreciation for all those soundtracks on which all numbers turned out to be mass hits. I tried putting together a collection of 5 such soundtracks. I must admit it was a very hard job but after a lot of thinking I came up with a list of 5 music CD’s I wouldn’t really mind being marooned with on an island (keep in mind this is a post 1975 collection and I leave open the discussion for my favorite collection of English music for a later day).

Hum Kisi Se Kam Nahin: Probably the soundtrack that actually drove me into writing this particular post, it was a personal favorite of mine as I made my dad play this movie’s songs over and over again as a small kid.
Ijaazat: A brilliant movie with powerhouse performances and the coming together of RD Burman’s and Gulzar’s geniuses. Every song is a gem in itself and should be on every musical connoisseur’s playlist.
Aandhi: Another RD, Gulzar combo on the list has great replay value.
QSQT: The movie that got back good music back to Bollywood in a hurry.
Roja: Comprehensively proved music actually broke across all border while establishing making A.R.Rehman a name to be watched out for and an instant celebrity.
1942 A Love story: This soundtrack proved without a doubt that musician’s die music doesn’t as RD immortalized himself to all music lovers.
Dil Chahta Hai: This soundtrack firmly established Shankar, Ehsan and Loy amongst the big league, with music as fresh as the movie.

Ok mebbe I cheated and made that list drag onto seven very conveniently but lets see you all trim your list down to five.

11 comments:

Point 5 said...

Since I stopped listening to Hindi music almost 7 yrs ago, I think I shouldn't be commenting on this post....but what the hell

...'Dil Ka Alam' from Aashiqui is not a bad song at all...btwn what happened to Anu Agarwal and Rahul Roy....

...Keeping my fingers crossed for the 4th Day's play...I am hoping that Gilly & Warne will work a miracle :)

totti said...

Ghar aaja pardesi is not bad either. i guess music directors cog most of the good songs from here and there. and the bad one is actually their "original" composition. This is my theory anyway.:)

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

aha the eternal musical blog... these r my favorite topics too.

btw i dunno the year of these movies but i wud include
Ghar/Masoom
Silsila/Kabhi Kabhi
and
Arth/Saath Saath

n no the '90s n then on movies sadly dun figure too high on my list.

Rohan Kumar said...

@pointy Anu agarwal and Rahul Roy were bad non actors who got lucky coz their movie songs made it big, they r probably languishing in deserved obscurity currently. Btw gr8888 last day at Ashes, I dont see Aussies coming bac in the last test though.

@totti Ghar Aaja Pardesi mebbe not a bad song but it fails to match the high levels set by Jatin Lalit on that soundtrack. U have also inslted the whole breed of Bappi Lahiris and Anu Malik's by ur comments :)

@swathi If I am not mistaken u just picked out HMV combos the way they are sold as twin packs in the market :)
Good u point out Ghar on that list coz there's one real arbit song that goes 'Botal se Ek baat' that doesnt quite gel with the otherwise brilliant soundtrack which was the point of my blog. Silsila similarly has "ladki hai ya shola' so dotn really think those albums can make the cut.

@broken verses Libaas a brilliant and underraated album, not many ppl know abt it. Rudaali and Lekin i dunno, Rudaali has only one 'Dil hoom Hoom' and Lekin has 2 good songs (or ones that got popular) only in 'Kesariya Balam' and 'Yaara Seeli Seeli'.

Nimbus said...

Beware, super long comment coming up! :)

Very interesting post! I completely identify with the zamaana of Gullu Kumar T-Series tapes available for almost nothing and listening to random soundtracks of never-released films, only because they got combined with movies like Baazigar or Tridev.

But musical tastes being extremely subjective, I don't agree with your choices of 'sore notes'. For instance i'm a die-hard Asha fan and i'll prefer to listen to jaaneman jaaneman anyday over the kaho naaa pyaaaaaar hai title song silliness. Similarly I like deewane hum yaar ke in JJWS so I don't reach for the skip button when it plays. And I think bada dukh dina from Ram Lakhan is one of the few songs of Lata from the mid-to-late 80s era where she doesn't go disturbingly shrill. Plus it is a halfway decent composition in raaga Kalyan :) But I agree with you about ghar aaja pardesi :) Pamela Chopra gets away with her atrocious singing only by virtue of being Yash's wife.

Now for the list part. First of all I suck at making up lists. Whenever people ask me my top 10 soundtracks, I name 50 and then insist that five of them share each rank ;) Second of all, since music of the 70s/80s is so very different from today, I find it unfair as well as difficult to come up with a single list 'of all time'. So i'll probably have 5 from the 70s, 5 from the 80s and so on. If I started writing that in your commentspace, you'll have a mini-thesis on your hands which your other readers won't enjoy :)

But I must mention - I'm fanatic when it comes to R D Burman, and you've gone and named some of my most favorite soundtracks of his in your post - HKKN, Ijaazat and Aandhi. In addition Swathi mentioned Ghar and Masoom. And finally Broken Verses mentioned the highly underrated Libaas - a movie that never saw the light of day. Needless to say there is one very happy Megha reading your post :)

Susu said...

Donno why, but offlate I find hindi music directors really non-creative.. all the songs seem to be so much of the typical what I call as "dhick chick" songs... I accredit that to technology to some extent.. The last hindi album I really liked (other than any rehman's music), was probably chameli. I am anyways a great fan of songs from kishore daa's era, almost all of them..

Rohan Kumar said...

@megha that comment didnt really turn out to be even half as long as most comments on ur blog, U are perfectly valid in abt music tastes being subjective but I hope you got the point I was trying to make. I thought I spoke for the genral public when I said "deewane hum pyar ke' wasnt deserving of the JJWS soundtrack and other one flop wonders on other soundtracks. Wud still love if I could hear ur list and will await the mini thesis.

@susu I think the word u were looking for was 'dhin chaak' :)
Try listening to Parineetha and Swades (even though I really doubt u wudnt have) I think they r both groundbreaking albums.

Jinguchakka said...

Bloggers' block? Yeah, It happens to everybody. And with that you turn out such a good post. Good.

Susu said...

well.. swades.. yes, I did exclude rehman's music outa that dhin chak thingy.. havent heard parineetha, thanks for your recommendations..

Rohan Kumar said...

@jinguchakka Not to sound vain or nything but I cud churn out such music or movies related blogs with unfailing regularity w/o even thinking twice :)

@susu Am happy u discounted Rehman from that list of urs, Parineetha's really good with repeated hearing of course

Abhishek Chatterjee said...

Hey take a look at my top ten hindi cinema soundtracks. SD rocks.
Cheers,