Monday, August 01, 2005

The Perfect Potboiler

Statuary warning: This blog is only meant for those people with ample amount of free time on their hands. Any mental trauma caused by the sheer worthlessness of this blog shall not be attributed to me nor shall I be at the receiving end of any muted curses. This blog is borne as a by product of sheer laziness, lack of new ideas and a hyperactive imagination.

I have always complained of being at a distinct disadvantage at coming up with ideas for my new blogs when compared to few other blogger friends of mine because I cant recall any of my dreams. Unlike friends of mine who can go on to describe to the last mundane detail what they see in their dreams I for some reason go absolutely blank after I wake up from my sleep. I know I have some absolutely fantastic dreams because whenever I wake up I am left with a feeling of an inexplicable high or low. A case in point was today morning when I was supposed to wake up at 7:30 am as I had to go over to my department and finish over some last minute stuff related to my thesis. Now I did wake up at 7:30 initially but somehow somewhere I was very caught up in this dream of mine and I really wanted to see how it ended so I put myself to sleep back again hoping to catch up on the ending. Although this logic of mine was absolutely contrived to all of you (including yours truly now that I think about it) I was surprised to see the dream resume from the very point I had left it when I had woken up. Eventually when I woke up about 2 hours later with no recollection whatsoever of this dream but somehow left with a happy aftertaste (somewhat akin to the feeling u get from that small mound of chocolate left in your molars after u prematurely finish off a milk chocolate). It was only when I started brushing my teeth that I somehow recalled this number C-9 kept playing over and over in my head and just like that I was able to recall my entire dream sequence which I shall be reproducing here. I claim sole copyright of this sequence and I am pretty sure this would turn out to be the perfect blockbuster if converted to celluloid screen one day.

Now this sequence started off with me returning to India for a vacation before I joined my job here in States. For the heck of it I gave some entrance exam which got me selected to IIT K B-school (don’t question my choice of college, why I gave the exam or even whether IIT K has a B school or not coz I am just reporting facts of my dream per se). I managed to breeze through the exam and since I didn’t have anything better to do I decided to join the college for a month’s time treating it as an extended vacation after which I would return to US to join my job. I saw myself going through the rigors of my initiation with a new college by getting ragged by seniors (2 of my best school friends who I haven’t seen for ages put up a pleasant guest appearance in the role of seniors). A surprise element lay in store in this dream sequence for me as I discovered that Zaheer Khan and Irfan Pathan were batch mates at the college (I was zapped on seeing them too and asked myself what the hell were they doing in IIT K when they should be playing the tri series in Lanka but play along with me right now on that and more on that later). Obviously being the popular ones they got most of the chicks in my batch while I sulked alone full of envy in some arbit corner. However we later came be friends (leading to some DCH like song sequences) as we united against some college rowdies and beat them to pulp and also I must mention they helped me by getting to my love interest in the dream sequence. Of course it was just co incidental that she also happened to be the best looking chick in town (which probably doesn’t count for much if u r in Kanpur as Sean would tell me). We also members on a college cricket team and we were very excited when we came to know that a college team from Pakistan would be visiting the college next month for an invitational tournament. The story was to take a twist just before the interval as I got a call from my company in States asking me to join them as soon as possible as my vacation was over. I was totally heartbroken at this instant at the prospect of leaving this college and faced a lot of flak from all my friends for leaving India for foreign shores and the last scene I saw myself sitting down with my parents discussing this dilemma having a heart to heart talk with them.

That’s the precise point where I woke up to the cacophonous sounds of my alarm and since I absolutely had to know what came of that talk with my parents I put myself back to sleep to see what happened after the interval.

After a long talk with my parents where we discussed both sides of the situation they left the decision to me. After giving it a hard thought I decided that India was where I wanted to be and called up my company to tell them I was resigning and walked back to my college greeted by rapturous applause at my college by my friends. We started practicing in full earnest for the cricket match and finally beat the Pakistan team after a long and hard drawn final to clinch the tournament with me hitting the winning runs. Why I didn’t make the cut for the man of the match I something I am still wondering about but I cant complain as the sequence finished on a very happy note that kept me on a high even after I woke up.

However now that I have finished penning down the whole thing it doesn’t look that exciting a screenplay as I had first imagined it to be (I swear it looked so much better when it was playing in my head....I dunno mebbe I slipped out on the interesting bits) and also looks like a suspicious mix of Swades, Lagaan and DCH but what the hell I have penned down more than a page long of my dream and the fact that I remember all of it merits a mention in my blog posts :)

17 comments:

totti said...

Shiva was struck in a traffic jam and he used the wings attached to his car to get out of the jam.But then, the rule for using car wings is u can do that only for 5 mins.He went on for 15 minutes only to find him surrounded by fbi helis. At that moment, he went the cold slap of harikrishna's hand on his shoulder and he woke up with a shout :)!!. nice post.i also got the feeling of swades (after you mentioned lagaan)..mujhse shaadi karogi ...

I was going on a kayak in the sea. Seeing the sea so vividly was very pshycing. There was a whale swimming next to me :)..finally, i also dreamt of giving JEE again. Don't know my rank this time though!!!

M (tread softly upon) said...

I cannot believe you went back to sleep and got back to where you had left off....incredulous...never happens to me :)))

Sagnik Nandy said...

and you thought that i was weird ??? :)

totti said...

Change of mind to change the pic eh? the manikandan effect has finally got to you :p

Rohan Kumar said...

Omigod i cant bleive that so many of you actually made it to the end of that post.
@Totti u have always had the gift of remembering ur dreams u lucky bastud
@m I dunno how it was wierd to me too but i guess wanted to know how it all finished up
@Sagnik The url to my blog says it all man, I thought my disclaimer wud have warded u away but curiousity got the better of u I see :-)
@Totti to be fair to me i had been thinking abt it for a while now (of course the ulterior motive was to keep Mr.Manikandan pleased, await the day when i get my hands on him and then @^&@*&@*@^*@%@&%$%!$@#%%@$@#@%@%%%%%%@$@$@$)

totti said...

hee hee..meanwhile time to kick ass at pcg...hopefully ppl will turn up for tomm's game..past few days i realised how much i miss it!!

Point 5 said...

dude ..u got a job ? where ?

I hope this part is real...

Rohan Kumar said...

@Totti I'll be there
@Pointy I wish it was but it was all part of one crzy ass dream :(

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

i have tat uncanny ability to remember most of my dreams n tat also in itz hues n colors :)
but i really expected u to say at the end
"aur jaanti ho tiku,
jab tumhara yeh khwab dekha tha,
apne bistar pe main us waqt pada
jaag raha tha.... "

Rohan Kumar said...

@Swathi Initially i thought u were quoting Gulzar from some movie of his but the more I go thru ur comment the more unlikely it seems. I know i am a lil daft at times so plzz drop in a lil 2 liner as to wat u meant by the statement in the quotes b4 i die wondering :)

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

oh! ur initial thots r absolutely right ,they r indeed Gulzaar's lyrics of the song 'ek hi kwaab kai baar dekha mein ne' (moive Kinaara)
so wat i meant was tat u wud state tat it wasnt actually a dream :D

Rohan Kumar said...

@Swathi I wish :), and thnx for telling me abt that song I thought that movie had just one good number 'Naam gum Jayega'

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

oh! itz only recently even i discovered this song,check this

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

I'm sorry for all the confusion,I was trying to add a link to my blogwrite-up on this song,
http://kymira.blogspot.com/2005/05/new-song-in-my-collection.html

Rohan Kumar said...

@Swathi u officially have made this post the single most popular ever on my blogsite with 16 comments :), nice review and great choice of song too