Wednesday, January 25, 2006

1/24/05, 4:18 pm

Its been a long time coming but after what seemed like an endless wait, a phonecall spiralled life headlong into the beginning of a journey that will take me away from a place that has played home for about 2.5 years ...... but if i had a nickel for every time I would complain in such a scenario I would need another one to rub the two together. This entire period involved in job hunt has been plain painful, made even more hard by the fact that I didn't really have my family around for comfort who have been essentially part of my support system for the first 22 years of my life. There have been a lot of temptations along the way, companies offering easy IT jobs after a purported training period with them. Thankfully I have managed to stay strong in the light of such situations refusing to work for a firm that aims to essentially wipe away 6 years of education and the toil and sweat associated with it even though it seems like the easier path to take. I have been to places where I have met people who run businesses about faking up to 5 years of work experience on resumes. Thankfully I have refused to be a cow in this herd rather wishing to gain my first job on my merit rather than based on a bundle of lies. May be it was a combination of all the above factors which made the 4:18 pm conversation all the more sweeter or may be it was just my heart telling my mind I told you so for all those times when it had told me to keep faith in my abilities and have patience.

15 comments:

Anarkist said...

Congratulations on your job Rohan. Where will you be heading and whats the job? Remember to keep blogging.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your job and may you find success at every step. All the best!!

ligne said...

congrats.. yet another lesson in patience and waiting for the right thing eh? :)
good luck..

Jinguchakka said...

Hearty Congratulations Rohan!

And welcome to the real world. ;-)
Looking forward to posts on your job experience.

OnLY OnE..! said...

Many Congratulations Rohan!
Sounds really exciting, good luck for the future!!

and oh please do keep blogging!

btw this is shruti

Casablanca said...

So happy for you :)

Madame Mahima said...

congrats buddy!
where u headed to??

Point 5 said...

Congrats Man..looks like someone did retire at 60, and paved way for u :)))

Job details pls, in the next blog...

totti said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
WTH...how could this happen? after months of planning and scheming.Who was the one who gave it away? what's the traitor's name? Bloody Hell! thats the final blow to PCG :(

*mumbling* congrats

Rohan Kumar said...

@Anarkist Thnx man, heading out to newark, NJ. Its essentially a manufacturing based job at lafarge North America, blogging shall live on albeit with lesser frequency

@ad Thnx a lot

@ligne Thnx and couldnt agree with you more abt life's lessons

@Jinguchakka Thnx and yes posts on your job experience can serve as good fodder for the next few posts

@Iturhs Thnx blogging shall continue hopefully, why the pseudonym?

@Casablanca :)

@Mahima Thnx headed out to Newark, NJ

@Pointy :)), working for lafarge at Newark, NJ

@totti I had dropped enough hints, you should have attempted a pre-emptive strike on the company, dont worry PCG shall live on on weekends at the same place, same time (and yes I shall keep gracing you with my presence)

Subash said...

Ah! Another one falls prey to the corporate America beast!

Congrats and good wishes to you!

Koi Pahailee said...

its must have been a test of nerves 4 u
way to go!
congrats!
One piece of advice. Remember. Its just a beginning to another world of endless work and a test of nerves & body & heart & life & ... that will make this job-searching phase a tiny one.
dont get burried in there. Its a killer world out there (like subash said)! hehehehehe
hope i dint scare ya:)

M (tread softly upon) said...

Congratulations Rohan! You must be on top of the world right now. And your family must be so proud of you. You know, even if the family is miles away and you think they aren't around for support or advise, they still go a long way in being there for you.
I'm happy for you. Looks like your patience and perseverance paid off. Good luck with the new job. When do you join? Keep us posted and don't stop writing.

Rohan Kumar said...

@Subash Thnx man and as for the 'Ah! Another one falls prey to the corporate America beast' hopefully not coz plans are on to head back after 2-3 years and join the Indian branch of my company

@Koi Pahailee Oh like hell you did :), I never expect it to be one big party for sure, its will be like a welcome to the real world, it sux and I am gonna love it

@M Yup the folks back home are really thrilled (probably happier than me I guess ;) ), gonna be joining on 6th and blogging will roll on

Anonymous said...

Congrats!