Friday, January 27, 2006

Yesterday once more

I got up yesterday hoping to talk to my HR representative wanting to go over my benefits and package while trying to push him into increasing my remuneration package by whatever amount he could. As the discussion veered towards the salary he started to explain about how he also had a higher offer from another company and how he settled for this one because the company and the work environment were more important to him. I was thinking about how to counter this argument and bring up the question of a raise in the pay package when he suddenly dangled a goodie bag in front of me which in retrospect seem really trivial. I was so enamoured with this goodie bag that I immediately gave up pushing my argument for a raise. When will I ever grow up? :)
Later that day I got myself all worked up thinking about the million small things I had to do before leaving this place for my new job I finally got myself to sit down and pen down a list of things to do and worked on it for an hour. By the time I was finished with this to-do list I was so happy with myself that i just switched on my S-Mac (that's my IPod nicknamed the Sound Machine) and just lay on my bed for 3 straight hours listening to songs on shuffle. So much for the to-do list :) .Btw 2 lines that really called out for my attention from this marathon music session:

Socha na tha zindagii aise, phir se milegi jeene ke liye
Aankhon ko pyaas lagegi, apne hi aansu peene ke liye
by the inimitable Gulzar writing for 'Dheere Jalna' from Paheli

Meri Lou Havaaon Se Jhagadkar Lee Uthi,
Mere Har Andhere Ko Ujale Pee Gaye
Tune Hasken Mujhse Muskurane Ko Kaha,
Mere Man Ke Mausam Gulmohar Se Ho Gaye
By the upcoming and multitalented Prasoon Joshi writing for 'Jeene ke Ishaare' from Phir Milenge

A last parting shot to all those frustrated with their job search. Don't give up on it, you will get a job only when you are meant to. For those of you luckier ones it will thankfully be a lot sooner :)

6 comments:

Casablanca said...

Curious I am, as to what was the trivial package that was able to defer a pay-increase demand? :)

And all songs from 'Phir Milenge' are just so awesome... I love them!

Susu said...

hey congrats for the job buddy..... S-Mac ... that's a cool name.. you might actually want to copyright that.. before one of these Ipod mimics start using it:-p....

KM said...

thank u rohan for the mini pep-talk at the end...
*currently job searching*
:)

Jinguchakka said...

don't worry. You can take care of what you feel you didn't get, at the first appraisal!
And it's not enough that you do not lose heart during your job search. You must also not lose heart when your work doesn't get recognized for what it should be. Many a time, it's a Dilbertian world out here! And welcome! :-)

ligne said...

you will probably get a raise soon enough.. so be at it :)
songs from paheli were ever so disappointing at first, cause i expected way too much.. over time, as lyrics sing in..they sound so much better :)

Rohan Kumar said...

@Casablanca Nothing much, as I said it was more of a kid in the mall being quietened by being shown a cotton candy :)
I actually don't like any of the other songs in Phir Milenge, guess they arent even put to music by Shankar Ehsan Loy

@Susu Thnx man, I was actually thinking of putting a rider on the post telling totti and pointy to abstain from plagiarising the name :)

@Khizzy You are welcome, I am sure with your credentials it wont be long take my word for it

@Jinguchakka Ya it wasnt such a big deal as it came across in the post probabaly, hopefully the latter shall not happen too much at my workplace

@ligne Yup hope so too, you can never go wrong with Gulzar penning the lyrics, my fav from the movie is actually 'Khaali Hai tere bina'