Monday, July 18, 2005

Half Blood Prince - No spoilers ahead

It began at 1:15 pm a pleasant Sunday afternoon innocently enough. 12 HOURS, a sandwich, a pizza slice, a sumptuous dinner followed by a mango lassi later I can finally claim to be a small drop of the all consuming Harry Potter wave that seems to have swept the muggle world and possibly also the parallel wizarding universe. It is an interesting notion that all wizards of the world would be waiting out for this book which they would be regarding as another edition of the adventures of the wizard they would have now come to treat as God. So the book instead of being as just another book would be something of the lines of a Bible / Ramayana part 6. Anyways before I digress too much (I know some might argue that I have already) I must get back to discussing my opinion of the book. Well first things first I must inform all of you that HARRY POTTER DIES. Do not repulse back in horror and shock for I have not given away a spoiler here (J K Rowling would probably sue my a** to hell if I did that I guess) its just that the Harry that we’ve come to know from the past books is kinda missing and we see new facets in his personality as well as his trusted and loyal circle of friends Ron and Hermione (the new age fellowship as some would like to believe). In the part of the series they all grow out from their overprotected shells and face the big bad worlds themselves. They all go through experiencing their own share of happiness, anger, and hatred dealing with most of it themselves. They discover their loves experience their heartbreaks thus lending a much higher emotional quotient to this book. Thus while there is a lesser amount of action the book scores and moves successfully forwards through the undercurrents running through its various sub plots (almost like how Kill Bill 2 compared to part 1). The book thus makes for interesting reading and would probably end up second best to only Goblets of fire. Moving on to the negatives I felt that the book was needlessly loquacious (mebbe all that talk of the Potter books encouraging reading habits amongst children has gone to JKR’s head) and there are chapters that can be removed in entirety without making any difference to the book. The title of the book was also not well justified and seemed like a gimmick because I seriously felt it would somehow be the main plot of the storyline. Also the ending of the book looks like a shameless publicity stunt for the next book in the series (that doesn’t stop me for waiting for it nonetheless).
All in all the 12 hours were well invested so people with that kinda time on your hands I say go grab your copy now (or request your room mate for it as I did  ).

11 comments:

totti said...

No way!! i think the title was very apt. Action part is true but it does gain a lot of momentum towards the end (agree with review posted on some site). And, then the growing through emotions was a huge part of book 5, was'nt it.I think it was expetly dealt with in here as well. Can't say more without spoiling things

totti said...

*expertly*

Point 5 said...

I have read only 3 HP books, and I have never been a big fan of it....I always considered the books as well as movies a little kiddish ....hence I am very surprised to see 40 year olds waiting 15 hours in line to get hold of a copy of the new book....I really fail to understand how they generate so much hype for these books...In Dr. Evil's words.."Somebody throw me a frigging bone"....am I missing something here ?

Jinguchakka said...

maybe HP addresses the kid in everyone of us.

totti said...

pointy..i am surprised that you don't like HP.If i have ever seen a "grown-up" kid, it has to be you. You and your immature fights! :p .. i agree that HP probably brings out the kid in us.

Anarkist said...

I saw a 15yr old wait for 40 hrs. And Harry Potter is the son of Satan. Read it only if you want to rot in hell. BTW, anyone got a copy to spare for a few days?

totti said...

Abey o...you lousy lawyer. I think rohan can spare you one! Why don't you order one for yourself :p

Rohan Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rohan Kumar said...

@Totti I insist the title had no relevance watsoever with the book
@Pointy HP will probably never make it to any list of classics but its good enjoyable reading nonetheless
@Satchi hope u enjoyed ur stay. Dont worry abt Pointy he is already doomed :)
@Jinguchakka I love that name of urs wat does it stand for? And abt HP appealing to the kid in us I wish u wud explain that to friends of mine who keep drooling over Herminone (sickos)
@Anarkist I shall not want thou to rot in hell so I will avoid the favor of loaning u the book. (will try man :) if i can get one )

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

hey rohan
i've still not finished it :( yaa i'm blaming my tight work schedule for it.

sometimes i do find HP a lille juvenile but then...there r times i luv it esp. book3

Rohan Kumar said...

@Swathi This book is anything but juvenile :), I kinda prefer the 4th one as my pic of the lot.