Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The great Indian Divide

A few days back I was told by a friend of mine that he found it kinda appreciable that I showed an active interest in his culture coming from north India since he belonged to a different part of India. While i found the comment strange at first it has surprisingly lodged itself in a corner of my brain and has been prodding me for a long time to write a blog on it. I say that i found the remark strange coz he mentioned that I was not like and I quote 'the typical Northie'. Now I dont exactly know what he meant by that statement but the way I have been in my interactions with him is the way i have always been and I am not going out of my way when i sound inquisitive about things that would not normally form part of my routine day. I have always thought that all of us have been different in our all small way because of the varied diversity that India offers in terms of cultures and lifestyles. So I in my own small way try and imbibe the good things that all the cultures have to offer be it a new recipe or some new music release coz it eventually makes my life turn for the better be it in a very small way.

That's the reason why I hate it when ppl get into calling names like 'Southie', 'northie' etc in a way that might be perceived as offensive or deriding. I realize that inspite of any number of friends I make in States during my short or long stay in States the surrounding Indian community will always form part of my support group. I already have a sizeable number of new friends from India and my life has been richer with my experiences and interactions with them.

On a separate topic I would like to voice my displeasure publicly against ppl who speak in their mother tongues around ppl of other communities (the bongs and maharashtrians are especially guilty of this offence). Please try and realize that such a practice is just plain rude and try and I request all of you to desist from it in future.

P.S. the bongs plzz plzzzz plzzzz dont get me wrong, in fact all u bong babes out there u r amongst the gorgeous looking Indian girls I have known personally :)

3 comments:

totti said...

Hmm...what about the Tams? They are the loudest creatures..ever been around a tam gumbal! Language is actually a way of defining boundaries between people. I mean it can bring people together and it also can filter out people!

Anonymous said...

hmmm, i am more interested in the bong babes that rohan is tryin to please so hard :)) wass up dude? and when u were at it, u should have added the gult from PCG too :)

Anonymous said...

Botony says thanks.. she also mentions that she always knew you thought she was really pretty!

she will be waiting for you when you visit delhi next!

cheers!
~A