Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Kya Kool Hain Hum? Of course not Goddamit

I along with a few friends of mine recently saw a movie called Kya Kool Hain Hum (that roughly translates to Am I Kool? for the uninitiated btw Tushhar Kapoor even though U may proclaim as much jumping out of movie websites u never were and will never ever be cool in the next billion gazillion fafillion years) which is apparently doing very well in India. The movie was replete with below the belt humor and jokes that were too crude and crassy to be even labeled double meaning. When the movie had ended a friend tried to justify the brand of humor in the movie saying that this is what the new generation wanted to see, audience tastes were changing and that I would have laughed at similar jokes had it been an English movie like the Scary movie series or an American Pie. I actually began to wonder if I was actually maintaining double standards when i came to movie watching and whether I would dismiss a movie as a cheap one when recommending it to my parents and family even though I had enjoyed it during a private viewing session.
After giving this matter a lot of thought, somewhere in the middle of which I was feeling pretty guilty about these double standards I managed to come to a conclusion that the answer to all these questions lay in a different domain altogether. I realized that when I am watching a hindi movie I watch it with a different set of expectations. I wouldnt be watching it in the first place if I really wanted to see a bunch of double meaning toilet paper jokes....... a rerun of the scary movies, Austin Powers etc would be good enough for that coz they do it best when it came to that class of humor. Mebbe that was the reason why I was left cold and unimpressed by the efforts of Indian filmmakers when they attempted sex comedies with both Masti and Kya Kool hain Hum. At a time when some people are creating magic with films like Swades and Black with Mangal Pandey to follow suit hopefully(both of which have the ability to floor any international audience anyday) I feel films like Kya Kool Hain Hum are a step in the backward direction, but then I have been away from India too long and I have lost the pulse of the audience............mebbe.

3 comments:

totti said...

Its working now..and what do you mean ?? i was born and brought up in Naples!!!

totti said...

Hmm..i recommend you watch some gult movies...its all relative..once you get to see the high class, sophisticated gult movies..even hollywood would sound tribe

Anonymous said...

Nice blog ##NAME##. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for free movie downloads related information and found your site. I have a ##LINK## site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think, and enjoy! : )